Companies around the world are working on better ways to manage diabetes. Universities and other research institutions are working on finding a cure for diabetes and its complications. We provide an outlet for press releases from these organizations, so that you can better understand what they're working on.
Press Releases from 2008
17 December 2008
- American Diabetes Association Announces Retirement of Chief Scientific & Medical Officer, Dr. Richard Kahn.
- Joslin Research Finds Nearly Three-quarters of Youths with Diabetes Insufficient in Vitamin D.
- U of M receives $40 million for type 1 diabetes research.
- MannKind Corporation to Review Positive Results From Final Two Pivotal Phase 3 Clinical Studies in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. See also Inhaled insulin back in limelight with MannKind's Afresa.
10 December 2008
- Diamyd® Diabetes Vaccine To Be Used In Prevention Study.
3 December 2008
- DexCom(TM) Receives CE Mark Approval for the SEVEN(R) Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. See also Dexcom continuous glucose monitor receives European CE mark.
26 November 2008
- JDRF Names Novocell's Alan J. Lewis, Ph.D., as President and CEO.
- Medtronic Names Francine Kaufman, M.D. to Key Executive Role in Diabetes Business.
- Joslin Researchers Identify New Source of Insulin-Producing Cells.
19 November 2008
- Study Finds Cost of Diabetes in the United States Exceeds $217 Billion. Also available in PDF format.
12 November 2008
- "Diabetes Dad" Tom Karlya Rejoins Diabetes Research Institute Foundation; Longs to fulfill promise of a cure for his daughter, others with diabetes.
- Former Miss America Nicole Johnson Takes Action for Type 1 Diabetes Research; Promotes advance screening and clinical research available nationwide.
5 November 2008
- Roche Provides New Website For Children With Diabetes.
29 October 2008
- FDA Approves Rapid-Acting Insulin Apidra® for Treatment of Children with Diabetes (PDF).
- Lilly Announces Launch of Color Differentiation System for Humalog(R) and Humulin(R) U-100 Insulin Products in the United States.
- Diabetes Law Collaborative Begins in Silicon Valley Through CIGNA Foundation-Equal Justice Works Fellowship.
22 October 2008
- SmartCells, Inc. and Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Announce Partnership and $1 Million Funding to Advance SmartInsulin™ for Type 1 Diabetes.
15 October 2008
- Researchers Continue to Find Genes for Type 1 Diabetes.
8 October 2008
- Clara Barton and Camp Joslin Diabetes Camps Complete Inaugural Rollout of MCT-Diabetes with Groups of 2008 Campers (PDF).
- HHS Announces Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. See also Physical Activity Guidelines.
1 October 2008
- American Diabetes Association Celebrates Historic Victory for Americans with Disabilities.
- UNC scientists turn human skin cells into insulin-producing cells.
21 September 2008
- MannKind Unveils Proposed Trade Name at Dedication of Danbury Manufacturing Facility. See also MannKind founder says inhaled insulin system could be 'blockbuster'.
- Researcher Awarded Grant to Develop Technology for Generating Insulin-Producing Cells to Treat Diabetes.
20 September 2008
- Maple Grove Farms of Vermont Sponsors Family to Attend Children with Diabetes' Friends for Life Conference.
- Two New Colors Added To Top-selling OneTouch® UltraMini® Blood Glucose Meter Collection. (PDF)
- Global Inspired by Diabetes Contest Winners Share Stories of Inspiration and Perseverance.
- New Study Demonstrates Glucose Device Rapidly Alleviates Major Symptom of Type 1 Diabetes in Children.
24 August 2008
- Study Finds Individuals with Long-Term Type 1 Diabetes Still Capable of Producing Insulin.
10 August 2008
- Bayer Diabetes Care Partners With Nick Jonas To Encourage Young People To Proactively Manage Their Diabetes; Teen Pop Sensation Shares Personal Story to Inspire Others. (Also available in PDF format.) See also Change for the Children Foundation, Walk in Nick's Shoes, Nick Jonas Launches Type 1 Diabetes Awareness Campaign, Nick Jonas Takes on Diabetes, a video interview with Nick Jonas, his mom, and Dr. David Simmons from Bayer Healthcare - Diabetes Care, and Nick Jonas speaks out about diabetes. You can also download Nick Jonas's song about diabetes, "A Little Bit Longer" from iTunes for $0.99. For every download between Aug 7 and Aug 21, Bayer Healthcare - Diabetes Care will make a donation to Jonas Brothers Change for the Children Foundation.
- 80 Million Americans Can Benefit From New Diabetes Resource; Free Educational Website Created By UCSF Diabetes Teaching Center Goes Live (PDF).
3 August 2008
- Echo Therapeutics Announces Positive Results of a Clinical Study of its Symphony™ Transdermal Continuous Glucose Monitoring System in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. See also Symphony™ Transdermal Continuous Glucose Monitoring (tCGM) System.
27 July 2008
- European Commission Approved APIDRA® for Treatment of Children & Adolescents with Diabetes (PDF).
- Internationally Renowned Islet Cell Transplant Surgeon Joins UA.
13 July 2008
- Geri Winkler becomes the first diabetic to conquer the Seven Summits.
6 July 2008
- OneTouch® PingTM Glucose Management System Cleared by FDA.
29 June 2008
- Olympian, Legendary Swimmer Gary Hall Jr. Teams With Lilly to Serve as Ambassador for Inspired By Diabetes Campaign.
- Idea Earth Brings Mobility To Type 1 Diabetics.
8 June 2008
- Potential for Sensitive Blood Test to Identify Type-1 Diabetes.
- DURABLE Clinical Trial Results Show GlycoMark is Key Test for Managing Patients with Diabetes.
11 May 2008
- Lautenberg, Isakson Introduce Legislation To Help Prevent Minority Diabetes.
4 May 2008
- Medtronic Announces FDA Clearance of New OneTouch® Ultralink™ Blood Glucose Meter; Medtronic and LifeScan to Co-Market Integrated Diabetes Management System with Wireless Blood Glucose Data Transmission. See also The NEW OneTouch® UltraLink™ Meter.
- A Priceless Mother's Day Gift For A Diabetic Son -- Novelist Brenda Novak's 4th Annual Online Auction Adds Diabetes Research Institute as Beneficiary.
- Introduction of the Amigo Insulin Pump Offers a Lifestyle Where 'Life Has No Limits'.
- MyCareTeam™ Receives US FDA Clearance for Diabetes Management Software.
- Studies test new approaches to islet transplantation.
27 April 2008
- Smiths Medical to Promote and Distribute Abbott's FreeStyle Navigator Continuous Glucose Monitoring System.
- Pelikan Technologies And Lilly Form Alliance To Promote Diabetes Education; Collaboration Highlights Education and Finger Health in Diabetes Management. See also Pelikan Technologies to learn more about the Pelikan Sun electronic lancing device.
- The CWD Foundation receives a significant contribution from the acquisition of Children With Diabetes by Johnson & Johnson.
20 April 2008
- Discovery Leads To Earlier Diagnosis Of Type 1 Diabetes.
- New method of measuring insulin promises improvements in diabetes treatment. See also New nanotube sensor can continuously monitor minute amounts of insulin.
- Toumaz Technology and Consortium Partners Win Major EU Funding To Develop Personal Blood Glucose Predictor For Diabetes Patients. See also Diabetes management taps wireless body monitoring technology.
- SWEET: New European Diabetes Initiative.
13 April 2008
- OneTouch® Laugh & Learn Sweepstakes To Award Scholarships For Summer Camp Experiences To Children With Diabetes.
- Team Of Type 1 Ironman Triathletes Reaches Out To Mentor Local Youth Across The Country.
- Pfizer Statement on Exubera Labeling Update in the United States.
6 April 2008
- Elite Team of Cyclists with Type 1 Diabetes Powers Forward in 2008 Sponsored by Rapid-Acting Insulin Apidra®. (PDF)
- Living Cell Technologies Announces Compelling Interim Diabetes Trial Results.
30 March 2008
- Medtronic Announces Sales Milestone of One Million Continuous Glucose Monitoring Sensors Worldwide.
23 March 2008
- FDA Approves NovoLog® for Use in Insulin Pumps by Children and Adolescents; Data Demonstrates Efficacy and Safety for Patients aged 4 to 18. See also FDA Approves First Insulin Analog for Use in Insulin Pumps by Children, Adolescents.
- Diabetes Treatment and Research at Columbia University Medical Center and New York-Presbyterian Hospital Bolstered by $28 Million Donation from The Russell Berrie Foundation.
9 March 2008
- Lilly Announces Termination of AIR Insulin Program. See also Eli Lilly drops inhaled insulin program.
2 March 2008
- Living Cell Technologies and US-Based Barbara Davis Center to Collaborate on Diabetes Clinical Trial Program.
- Johnson & Johnson Diabetes Institute, LLC Launches New Center To Provide State-of-the-art Education, Training To Health Professionals.
- Yale School of Nursing researchers awarded $3.5 million grant to expand coping skills training to the internet for children with diabetes.
17 February 2008
- Living Cell Technologies Ltd Company Announcement: Diabetes Trial Supported By US-Based Diabetes Foundation.
10 February 2008
- Diabetech® Launches GlucoMON®-RT Real-Time Monitoring for Remote Diabetes Caregivers. See also GlucoMON Real Time Alert Program.
- Medtronic Seeking Long-Distance Runners Who Benefit From Medical Technology.
3 February 2008
- Medtronic Announces FDA Approval of CGMS® iPro™ Continuous Glucose Recorder.
27 January 2008
- Diamyd Announces Completion Of Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine Trial With Long Term Efficacy Demonstrated At 30 Months.
- Focus Express Mail Pharmacy of Horsham Partners with PumpWear, Inc.
13 January 2008
- DexCom™ Announces Joint Development Agreement with Animas Corporation to develop a continuous glucose monitoring system to work with Animas® insulin pumps.
- Insulet Corporation and DexCom Announce Development Agreement that will integrate the DexCom continuous sensing system into the OmniPod controller.
To have your press release included on this page, please use our Feedback Form. Please be sure to include contact information in case we have questions. We reserve the right to include only those press releases that are consistent with our editorial positions.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.