Back to Kid' Voices Isabella-Rose


My name is Isabella-Rose. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on 8 April 2010. I was 9 years old then - but I turned 10 in May.

I had been feeling a bit bad for a while but I thought that I was just tired or feeling stressed - and that's what my Mum thought too. I was drinking a lot and going to the bathroom a lot - sometimes wetting the bed at night which was really embarrassing and my Mum would get upset with me because she thought I was not going to the bathroom before I went to bed, or I was drinking too much during the night. My Mum says that I was really really grumpy too and I cried a lot and kept getting really upset with my friends at school.

Then at Easter time this year we had school holidays and my Mum said she thought I was getting a big skinny. She weighed me and I had lost about 4kg since the last time I was weighed about 6 weeks before - but I had also grown about 2cm taller. My Mum said that that was when she realised that something was not right. The next day we went to the Royal Easter Show in Sydney and because it was so busy there and there were so many people my Mum had to come to the bathroom with me - and I went to the bathroom about every 10 minutes. My Mum knew how much I was drinking but said that I should not be going to the bathroom that much. The next morning my Mum rang the doctor's office and told them she thought I might be diabetic. My Mum's sister was diagnosed with adult onset Type 1 Diabetes only a year ago so she knew a bit about it.

Mum was right. The doctor did a finger prick and my BGL registered on the monitor as "HI" - which means that the level was higher than the highest setting on that monitor. She also did a urine test for ketones - and that was also a really bad result. So I had to go straight to hospital. It took nearly 2 hours to get to the hospital in the ambulance because the traffic was really bad. They had to stop the ambulance to put a cannula in me because I was really dehydrated - the cannula really hurt and it was very scary because I didn't want it and the ambulance guy and my Mum had to hold me down. I didn't like that. I was admitted to hospital for 5 days but was allowed to have an overnight "leave pass" for the last night there so that we could practice what we learned at the hospital. We've all had to learn a lot. I have only done 2 injections myself because I get a bit scared. It's a bit hard for my Mum because she has to come to my school every day to do my lunchtime shot. I'm still very nervous about it all but I'm getting better at knowing when I'm going low or high.

I'm also starting to meet some other kids with Diabetes and they are just like me! I made a friend the day I went to the hospital - she was diagnosed the same day as me but she is a bit younger. She is REALLY brave though and needles and cannulas don't bother her at all!

Oh - I have an older brother, Tim - he is learning to help me too and he helps me to practice doing shots on oranges or on my Rufus bear.

From Isabella-Rose.

PS - this picture of me was taken at the Royal Easter Show, the day before I was diagnosed.

You can email my mom and me at .

Published June 23, 2010

  Back to Kid' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.