You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit cwd.is for our current site.
School and Daycare from 2008
- My son's school hockey coach had a school doctor write a protocol for my son to play and makes my son check his blood sugar in front of a coach. Is this discrimination? (15 Dec 2008)
- Do you have any information on the cognitive effects of type 1 diabetes in the school setting? (8 Dec 2008)
- We are having an issue at school about where our son stores his meter and checks his blood sugar, especially with the nurse's office locked in the afternoon. Can you help us? (17 Nov 2008)
- I'm a school psychologist with a student who refuses to follow her diet. Are there any behavioral intervention plans/suggestions you could provide to help us? (10 Sep 2008)
- The principal at my son's new school has recommended my son not eat breakfast at school and said he must eat lunch with the nurse. With whom should I file a complaint? (9 Sep 2008)
- The school's field hockey coaches have told my daughter she will lose playing time due to the time she spends checking her blood sugars and treating lows. Isn't this discrimination? (5 Sep 2008)
- At his new school, my son will be carrying two pre-filled syringes in a fanny pack, which concerns the school. What do others do? (27 Aug 2008)
- If a child already has a 504 in place, does a new/updated version need to be sent each new school year if his treatment is exactly the same? (26 Aug 2008)
- Do you support a public school requiring diabetic students to submit to a blood glucose test whenever the principal requests, for discipline purposes, specifically, before the student is investigated? (26 Jun 2008)
- Who is typically included in a 504? My daughter's school has us do a 504 at the end of the year for use the following year. Is this way other schools do it? (16 May 2008)
- For a second year in a row, my son's public middle school refuses to give him a 504 plan. They say an individualized health plan is all he needs. Is this correct? (5 Apr 2008)
- My daughter will be in a private home, licensed daycare, for six weeks of the year. The provider has said she cannot give insulin shots. Is this true from a legal standpoint? (31 Mar 2008)
- During the summer, my son will be going on field trips with his school. There is no trained person going with them. What are the regulations for daycare facilities? (24 Mar 2008)
- My friend has been told she cannot accompany her recently diagnosed young teen son on a field trip. Is there any law that says she should be allowed to go? (18 Mar 2008)
- My daughter's Christian school doesn't fall under the 504 plan, but isn't it answerable to anyone with regards to diabetes management and the safety of children on its premises? (17 Mar 2008)
- My child will be attending a new school in August. They want to send him to a school further away because it has a full time nurse, while the school nearby does not. Can they do this? (12 Mar 2008)
- The school nurse says she's the only person who can legally work my grand-niece's pump and that a parent must come do a bolus when the she is not available. What is the law? (10 Mar 2008)
- How can I find out what information the school must provide with respect to carbohydrate counts for the foods it serves? (8 Mar 2008)
- We developed a 504 plan each year for at least the past five years. The school never signs off on this. Is it still valid without the schools signature? (8 Mar 2008)
Topical Index |
Current School and Daycare Questions |
Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.