Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit for our current site.


From Connecticut, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter wants to eat the food that is served in the school's cafeteria. Since her school is a public school, can I require that the school provide the carbohydrate count for the lunch and breakfast menus and put this in her 504 plan?


Many school districts have carbohydrate counts and nutritional information for school cafeteria menu selections available on-line. If your school district does not have this information, encourage your school nurse and district food service manager to work with a registered dietitian to provide this tool. We strongly recommend incorporation into your child's Section 504 Plan or IEP. For help with a specific school discrimination problem, call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and review the information and materials at the ADA's web page on Diabetes Care at School.


Original posting 25 May 2010
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.