  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit cwd.is for our current site.

Question:

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

My 10-year-old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of six. He recently got a pump. Due to us getting familiar with the new system, my son has missed more days from school than normal. I always write a note for him to return to school, however, the school is requiring that he have a doctor's note when he misses a day of school. This is very inconvenient and the school is aware of his diabetes. Is there a law or act that deals with this issue or something that states that diabetic related illness are excused if a written note is provided by the parent? Do I have to get a doctor's note every time my son is absent due to his diabetes?

Answer:

While it is common practice for many schools to require a doctor's note if three or more days are missed in a row, it is unusual to request a fnote or an occasional day missed. Look at the school's absentee policy and find out what is required of other students who are absent for a day. Also, be sure to write a provision in your child's 504 plan that excuses your child's absence - without penalty and with the ability to make up missed assignments - for diabetes related appointments and care/illness. For more information and to discuss your individual situation with ADA's Legal Advocate, call ADA at 1-800-DIABETES and see the ADA's web page on School Discrimination.

CJ

DTQ-20090417003843
Original posting 21 Apr 2009
Posted to School and Daycare

  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.