Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Highland Park, New Jersey, USA:

My friend's son is struggling with alcohol and substance abuse. He is 18 years old and a type 1 diabetic who has recently come out of the honeymoon stage. His last A1c was over 11.9. He is currently hospitalized in a facility that will help him with his glucose levels but he needs help finding a facility that can address both his substance abuse, alcoholism and diabetes. The current facility he is in will only allow him to stay there for approximately two weeks maximum. Is there any facility in the U.S. that is longer term and will help address all of his current problems?


You may wish to contact the Cumberland Hospital for Children & Adolescents in New Kent, Virginia. Insurance coverage is often an issue with them. In the meantime, the patient requires a local mental health worker, at least.


Original posting 20 Apr 2008
Posted to Other and Other Social Issues


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.