Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Sonoma, California, USA:

I know a four-year-old child whose mother had diabetes when she was pregnant with him. He seems to be coming up with some symptoms. She works for minimum wage and has no insurance. Can you direct me to a source that could possibly help them? I feel it is important for her to find out as soon as possible.


The first solution is to provide a means to pay for the child's health care. Healthy Families is the California version of the federally funded state child health insurance program. While there are income caps for participation, your description of this family leads me to think they would qualify. CCS is a California state program that treats children with certain physical limitations and chronic health conditions or diseases, including diabetes. CCS can authorize and pay for specific medical services and equipment provided by CCS-approved specialists. The California Department of Health Services manages the CCS program. Participation in CCS has income requirements or is used in tandem with the Healthy Families program. But, children can participate in CCS without participation in Healthy Families. Further, there is an exception to the income guidelines when the out-of-pocket medical expenses for a child who qualifies are expected to be more than 20 percent of family income. More information about subsidized health insurance programs for children in California can be found at California Healthy Families. As for the other needs in obtaining health insurance, I would suggest reviewing the Consumer Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance in California produced by the Georgetown University School for Health Policy.


Original posting 21 Sep 2007
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.