Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Cheney, Kansas, USA:

My doctor thinks my three year old son has Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am concerned that this could put him at a high risk for diabetes. What type of testing is usually done to determine this? He does exhibit some symptoms of diabetes, such as increased thirst, weight loss, and irritability.


If he has thyroid antibodies, he could also have antibodies that predict the development of diabetes. There are commercial tests, but some worry about the quality. Also, if you qualify, TrialNet, an NIH project could screen him.


Original posting 2 Nov 2006
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.