Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Mesa, Arizona, USA:

I have not been taking care of myself since my move to Arizona a year ago. I lost my job in Indiana and my insurance. I recently wanted to become involved in some of the diabetic studies and/or high blood pressure research studies that they have here. However, in doing the blood work for a couple of these, I found out that my blood sugar is at 385 mg/dl [21.4 mmol/L] and my liver enzymes are high as well. My cholesterol is also high as is my blood pressure. I have applied for state assistance, but have not heard anything yet.

I am having difficulty with feet tingling and eye blurriness. What can I do right now for help? I have no test strips for my meter. I do have some lancets left. It has been a very stressful year and I neglected my health. I hope there are some research studies in which I could be involved. I was taking glybuteride and Accupril, but am no longer able to get those drugs. Is there anything you can do to help me?


The need for insurance is not a reason not to get care. You are going to have to find a location to get medication. You should go through the county Department of Health. You cannot count on getting into a research study, as you may not meet the entry requirements. This should not wait. In addition, you can buy insulin and some medications over the counter. There are additional things you can do without insurance, although I understand they are more limited. Please try and find a physician who will treat you and do not wait to gain entrance into a study.


[Editor's comment: The Children with Diabetes Foundation has a branch that may be able to provide you with emergency supplies. You can find a downloadable application on its web site.

You can find information about Clinical Research on the NIH web site. BH]

Original posting 10 Aug 2006
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.