Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Henderson, Nevada, USA:

We only have one endocrinologist within a 50 mile radius that treats children. Over the last couple of visits, we realized our son is not getting the proper attention and care from this doctor (suspecting that he is extremely overworked). We definitely feel that he is incorrect with the insulin dosages he has prescribed. Is there another type specialist to whom we could take our son for his diabetes care?


The answer to your question is a qualified "no, there is no other type of specialist that can follow your son's diabetes."

Having said that, some general pediatricians, but not many, have a special interest in diabetes. Depending upon the age of the child, an ADULT endocrinologist MIGHT be willing to assess the child. But very typically, adult endocrinologists do not have the resources and time (patience), etc., for working with a child with type 1 diabetes.

I see your options, unfortunately, as limited:

  1. TALK TO YOUR CHILD'S ENDOCRINOLOGIST ABOUT YOUR CONCERNS. WHY do you feel there is a mismatch in dosing? What are the glucose patterns? Does this physician have a diabetes educator available or nurse to work with?

  2. Bite the bullet and find your way to another pediatric endocrinologist in or near your state to get a second opinion. Might you have to pay out-of-pocket? Perhaps. Are your concerns not worth any potential increased expense? My sources indicate that in Nevada, there is a pediatric endocrinologist in Las Vegas, in Reno, and in Dayton. There may be others. Also, a trip to San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, etc. is but a short plane ride away and probably not very expensive.


Original posting 29 Jul 2006
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.