Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From United States:

My daughter, who has type 1, is going away for college in the fall. Can she request academic accommodations from college/professors (i.e., permission to check her blood sugar and eat in class AND during exams, be given extended time/break during exam if she is experiencing a "low/high" or be allowed to take the text/exam at another time)? Is this a common practice in college? What are the other accommodations I can request? Are there any sample requests I can use?


The Americans With Disabilities Act extends rights to all facilities that accept federal funds to make reasonable accommodations to those with disabilities.The standard for disability is generally a condition or chronic illness which interferes or controls a significant daily activity. Diabetes is considered to meet this threshold requirement. Most every college and university has in place professionals who coordinate services for disabled students. In order to assure that your daughter receives the accommodations that she needs for a successful college experience, she must register with the office of disabled student services. Upon certification of disability, she can assert her need for a full range of needed accommodations. The school may already have in place a series or schedule of services or accommodations that they have identified as useful to students in particular circumstances. If your daughter chooses not register with the office of disabled student services, she faces the task of explaining to each professor and instructor her needs and requirements. The instructor is then free to determine for themselves what, if any, accommodation is required.


Original posting 1 Mar 2006
Posted to School and Daycare and Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.