Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Glenview, Illinois, USA:

I currently have a federal lawsuit going against the Glenview Police Department. I was in the police station, but not under arrest. They withheld my insulin from me. I asked to get my insulin and medical treatment for hours. I ended up in the hospital with a blood sugar of 800 mg/dl [44.4 mmol/L]. Do you know of any other cases like this?


You may want to consider calling the Advocacy Department at the American Diabetes Association. You can call 1-800 DIABETES and ask to speak to someone in the advocacy department. That is a case that I assume they would like to know about.


Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

This sounds not only dangerous, but illegal to me. I also think that you need to have some newspaper writers know of this story so that it can be more widely circulated since it probably happens more than we would like to believe. Also, I would suggest that you contact the legal department of the American Diabetes Association since they have lawyers who might have some useful information.


Original posting 14 Feb 2006
Posted to Other and Hyperglycemia and DKA


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.