Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Oregon, USA:

What is the road to becoming an endocrinologist like? I just want to gain some insight into the profession.


First, you need an undergraduate college degree, about four years, usually, pre-medical with lots of science courses but in many places you can take some science courses and still major in any other subject. (I was a psychology major, for instance).

Next, you go through four years of medical school ending with a medical doctor degree.

Then, usually three years of postgraduate training. This could be in internal medicine or pediatrics.

Then, another two to three years of fellowship training in endocrinology, studying diabetes, thyroid, pituitary, parathyroid, adrenal, gonadal and lipid disorders and their associated complications, psychological ramifications, treatments etc. In some facilities, this is heavily clinical with minimal research training; others are more research oriented. Some people do further postgraduate research with senior mentors, researchers and/or clinicians; some then go into private practice; some become teachers either full-time or part-time.

Along the way, there are lots of certifying examinations and what is called board certification. This could be in general pediatrics and then pediatric endocrinology for pediatric based endocrinologist or could be in general internal medicine and then general endocrinology for those dealing with adults.

In Europe and other parts of the world, undergraduate and medical school training are often combined into a single six year program with post-graduate training slightly longer. By the time of endocrine specialty fellowships, the years of training are then somewhat more similar.


Original posting 13 Feb 2006
Posted to Other


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.