Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

My brother-in-law has diabetes. He didn't take care of himself in the past. Now, everything is getting worse. The doctor said he has to stop eating protein because he is "losing" it in his urine and, if he doesn't take care of this, he will need dialysis. However, he needs some protein to make his sugar a little bit high. Where can we find a sample of menus to regulate and balance this?


I would strongly recommend that your brother-in-law make an appointment to meet with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. Your physician can refer you to this person, if necessary. A registered dietitian can develop a specialized meal plan to help obtain optimal blood sugar control and preserve kidney function.


Original posting 13 Nov 2005
Posted to Complications and Meal Planning, Food and Diet


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.