Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Spokane, Washington, USA:

About three months ago, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes after a glucose tolerance test came back abnormal (150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L] at two hours). I started monitoring my blood sugars and my fasting blood sugars were always in 80s mg/dl [4.4 to 4.9 mmol/L] and my post-prandials were general in the 110s mg/dl [6.1 to 6.6 mmol/L]. At that time, my A1c was 5.1.

Since then, I've been more active, but now my fasting glucoses are always over 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] and my post-prandials are at least 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L] and can go as high as 160 mg/dl [8.9 mmol/L]. My A1c was recently 6.2. Throughout this whole time, I have had episodes of hypoglycemia.

I am almost 21. I weigh 108 pounds at four feet, ten inches. I have no family history of diabetes and I have no high blood pressure or high cholesterol. This seems to have accelerated rather quickly into what I understand to be the diabetic range for the A1c. What could I be looking at? I am scared to be put on pills if this is a form of type 1 but, I don't want to take insulin if it isn't necessary. I don't know how to get antibody testing done, unless I can order the test myself. I am currently having terrible vision problems, and weight seems to slide off quickly, although I am still able to gain it back. How should I talk to my doctor and about what? I see him in three days, and I'm so nervous I don't trust myself to come up with a good plan of attack.


If you do not have the usual risks for type 2 diabetes (obesity, family history, older onset), and you are concerned about the onset of type 1 diabetes, your physician should be able to help you. The A1c is not the best test to diagnose diabetes. A fasting glucose needs to be done. If it is elevated above 126 mg/dl [7 mmol/L] on two occasions, this is diabetes. Markers of type 1 diabetes can only be obtained through the laboratory so, your doctor would have to order them. This issue is about talking to your doctor. If you can't do that, consider finding another doctor you can talk to. Your vision problems and difficulty keeping weight on are bothersome.


Original posting 14 Jan 2005
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.