Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Celebration, Florida, USA:

I am planning a trip to France, Switzerland, England, and Italy this summer for my family, which includes my 10 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. I would like to know in advance who to contact or where to get good care for him in each place we are visiting in case we should need it. Do you know how I can get this information?


I'm afraid that all of these countries are quite large and services will vary depending upon where you are. The only sensible advice is to ensure that you have sufficient supplies and if you have a problem, contact the local hospital. It goes without saying that you should ensure that your insurance company knows about your son and that you have appropriate coverage.


Additional comments from Dr. Marco Songini:

As far as Italy is concerned, pediatric diabetes teams are generally available in most of the principal cities whilst diabetes clinics are present in most hospitals of the country. All medical services in Italy are freely covered by the National Health Service.


Original posting 30 Dec 2004
Posted to Traveling


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.