Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Hot Springs, Arkansas, USA:

I have a friend who has diabetes and suffers from gastroparesis. Her doctor says that she needs to have the "pacemaker" implant but cannot afford it. Are there any agencies or groups that assist in providing financial aid for indigent people? I have searched as much as I know how. She has medicare but they won't pay anything on the part which is absolutely out of her financial ability. She has two children, 7 and 9 years old, and gets no child support for them.


Medicare does not cover this procedure because it is classified as experimental. However, many private insurance carriers are covering it. Has your friend attempted to apply for Medicaid? Have you explored if there are any investigational studies in this procedure enrolling new patients?


Original posting 31 Jan 2004
Posted to Complications and Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.