Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Escondido, California, USA:

I am an adult was initially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but after a year and a half it was clear that oral medication/diet failed to control my blood glucose so my diabetes nurse ordered a test to determine whether I really had type 1. What test would have been used? Is this test normally done when diabetes is diagnosed?


You are asking the wrong people. You should ask your diabetes health care team what tests were ordered, why they were ordered and how the results can be interpreted. Most likely, they did antibody tests. Usually islet cell antibodies or GAD 65 antibody tests are the most commonly available outside of research setting.


[Editor's comment: Antibody testing is not routinely done when type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, unless there is a suspicion that the patient actually has Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults. WWQ]

Original posting 27 Jul 2003
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.