Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Mount Pleasant, Iowa, USA:

My 23 year old boyfriend, who has had type 1 diabetes since he was four, has had multiple ER trips in the past five years. He has been unemployed for a year, and has been unable to get a job. When he was employed, he missed too many days due to illness and was fired. Also, in the past five months, he has developed pains in his legs and feet, which may be neuropathy.

He has over $50, 000 in medical bills, which we have no way of paying, and I pay for his insulin. He does not have a personal doctor, because we cannot afford the physician visits. We have been given the run-around by the local DHS office and SSA office, as well as the state hospital. No one seems interested in helping us. Are there any programs available to pay for his medical bills, physician visits, and/or prescriptions? Since he has been unemployed for a year, does he currently qualify as bring disabled? If he does have neuropathy, will this qualify him as being disabled?


I would refer him to the local Iowa state benefits office. He may be a candidate for Medicaid where he can get medical treatment paid for. He can also inquire about disability. However, most disability offices are now set up so that they have their own physicians who do the evaluation and work with standards regarding what is disability and what is not.

There are a number of pharmaceutical company programs that offer to pay for insulin through a physician's office. He needs a physician, and this might be one way he could get his insulin. Finally, he might benefit from consultation with a lawyer regarding disability and his financial situation. A number of state and local bar associations provide free legal services to those who have difficulty affording them.


[Editor's comment: Also, see Financial Aid and Paying for diabetes expenses at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Original posting 22 Jul 2003
Posted to Insurance/Costs and Community Resources


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.