Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Graceville, Florida, USA:

Our 21 year old son has just graduated from college, and we are pursuing COBRA health insurance coverage, only to learn that it will cost $435 per month. We know we need this coverage until he is in a stable position, but our income isn't sufficient to for these high premiums. My husband and I are each working more than one job, so extra work is really not possible. Do you have any suggestions?


Many group health policies that provide family coverage age out for children on their 19th birthday but will extend to age 23 so long as they are full time students. So as I see it, either your child needs to find a job, any job, that offers health insurance or he needs to get back into school full time. Another option is for him to enroll in the Medicaid program. He will have to show that he is not your dependent and that he does not possess assets or income above the guidelines established by the state in which he lives. He can get more information about the Medicaid program from the web or by contacting his local social services department.


Original posting 27 Mar 2003
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.