Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

A friend of mine has a 21 year old daughter with type 1 diabetes who has finished trade school. Now her parents cannot carry her on their insurance any more, she doesn't know what to do or where to go to get her medicine, and she has been off of her insulin for about a week. She's too old to stay on her parents' insurance, and she hasn't found a job yet, but she really needs her medicine. What can she do? Where can she go now? Can you give me some suggestions?


It's very likely this young person is eligible to convert her coverage under her parents' plan to an individual policy covering just her. Your friends should contact the insurer to see if this option is available.

The other option is coverage as a HIPAA eligible person. There is a website that offers great information about health insurance options in Georgia.


[Editor's comment: See Financial Aid at The Diabetes Monitor. SS]

[Editor's comment: It is extremely dangerous, and indeed life-threatening, for someone with type 1 diabetes to discontinue insulin. Please encourage her to go to her previous doctor, or somewhere, to get samples, immediately. WWQ]

Original posting 10 Mar 2003
Posted to Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.