Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Conroe, Texas, USA:

I am a 27 year old Caucasian male (5 feet 9 inches tall, 160 pounds) who was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago and is currently treated with diet, exercise, and Glucovance, but my blood glucose is poor, I'm losing weight, and I'm feeling crappy. My doctor's response to this is, "So what, that's diabetes". I would like to be tested for LADA, but my doctor hasn't heard of it, does not do the test and after 20 phone calls, it seems nobody locally does. Everyone basically says, "I don't care what the Internet says, there are only two types of diabetes". Can ya'll recommend someone? Is there a test I should ask for specifically?


Testing for Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA) requires measuring C-peptide levels and an anti-GAD antibody level. I would suggest you speak with an endocrinologist. If you are losing weight, and you are on the maximal dose of Glucovance, you need to have something else done. This would include being treated with insulin.


Original posting 5 Mar 2003
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.