Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Monument, Colorado, USA:

My three year son shows signs all the time of hypoglycemia (gets moody, shakes, weak, etc.), and I have noticed that these symptoms all hinder around food or lack of it. My father has had diabetes for 48 years, so I grew up surrounded by it, and "know" what to look for.

I have asked my son's pediatrician about it, who did do a finger test on my son, but it was normal and so the doctor just basically wrote it off. How can I get him to take me seriously? I have been able to treat my son at home, when he gets sick we provide him with sugar, honey, juice, etc., but lately he has really gotten out of control. When he gets "sick", I can barely contain him, and control him, to give him what he needs, and I think the situation is getting worse.

Any ideas on how to make the pediatrician take me seriously and try to treat my son? I think he just thinks I am making it all up, an over-protective mom who looks for problems.


I would encourage you to bring your concerns to the attention of your son's physician. I would also make sure to bring your specific concern that your needs are not being met to their attention. Your son's symptoms may indeed be due to hypoglycemia, and if they are, that can relatively easily be tested. There are other reasons a child may have those symptoms, and you should seek counsel from your pediatrician.


[Editor's comment: If, after heeding Dr. Brown's advice, you still do not feel you have satisfactory answers, I would ask for a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist. SS]

[Editor's comment: If dad has type 1 diabetes, then perhaps testing beyond blood sugars might be warranted (for antibodies) that might indicate your son has prediabetes. WWQ]

Original posting 4 Jul 2002
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.