Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Nampa, Idaho, USA:

My 79 year old father-in-law, who had a heart attack, was told he had diabetes and needed to go on an 1800 diabetic diet and lose weight or die. Can you help me find such a diet?


I would recommend that you locate a dietitian who works with people with diabetes. The 1800 calorie diet prescription is probably appropriate, but the dietitian can individualize the meal plan according to your father-in-law's usual mealtimes and food preferences. If you have problems finding a dietitian, ask for a referral from your father-in-law's physician.


Original posting 14 Jan 2002
Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.