  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit cwd.is for our current site.

Question:

From Hamilton, Ontario, Canada:

My 11 year old son has had diabetes since he was six. He's been doing his own shots for a year now and is pretty good at carbohydrate counting. I have always tried to work things out so that he participates in whatever he's interested in -- sleep-overs included. Now he is attending middle school, and overnight trips and multi-night trips are scheduled during the year. I realize that I'm quite nervous about this. I think I would be nervous even if my son hadn't mistakenly taken the wrong insulin at night twice in the past. I'm more worried about him getting low than high. Should I insist on being a chaperone or do I need to learn to let go a little?

Answer:

Why don't you sit down, at a mutually convenient time, with your son and let him know what your worries are. Ask him to help find a solution that you both feel comfortable with. For example, would he like you to chaperone? Perhaps that will make him feel safer (or it may make him feel like a baby). Would he rather call you at an agreed upon time (buy him a pre-paid calling card) to report numbers and problem-solve any dosage questions he may have? The more the two of you form a team where you are equally engaged in problem-solving, the better his health (and your anxiety) will be.

JWB

DTQ-20000908003522
Original posting 17 Oct 2000
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Other Social Issues

  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.