Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit for our current site.


From Moorpark, California, USA:

My eight year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on a year ago. Does the Americans with Disability Act, or any other law, have a provision which requires that his school have someone someone on the premises who will administer glucagon or insulin to him in an emergency? My fear is that in case of an emergency, such as an earthquake, I might not be able to get to him, and in such an emergency, 911 probably won't be able to respond for one child. Right now, the school requires that I go there to administer insulin or glucagon if he needs it.


If your child's physician spells out in a 504 plan that this is necessary, I believe that it needs to be accommodated by the school. Someone at school should able to give insulin if it is routinely ordered. However, while a distinct possibility, especially in California, the circumstance you describe will, more than likely, not arise.


Original posting 26 Sep 2000
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.