Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Faridabad-Haryana, India:

My three year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about a year. She is getting two types of insulin: Human Monotard [Lente] (always) and Actrapid [Regular] (need based) twice a day using syringes. I want to shift her to insulin pens. Using syringes, I can adjust the insulin contents even in between divisions, i.e., between one unit. I feel it is not possible in a insulin pen whose least count is one unit. Secondly, I am told that the cartridge for Monotard is not available and that I should use Insulatard [NPH] instead. What should be done to shift to insulin pens?


My suggestion would be to use a 30 unit syringe, using one syringe for both insulins. In the United States, Wal-Mart sells a syringe that is calibrated to half units. If you must have a pen and two injections try to get hold of the B-D Mini pen, which can deliver a half unit.


Original posting 22 Sep 2000
Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.