  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit cwd.is for our current site.

Question:

From Natick, Massachusetts, USA:

My three and one-half year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and is now a happy preschooler. Although we have done our best to tightly control his blood sugar levels, it has not been easy. I am concerned about the long term effects of low blood sugars in young children with type 1 diabetes. What types of learning disabilities are most common in children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at a young age? Is there any type of therapy that can be done to correct this condition?

Answer:

Learning difficulties are not more common in children with type 1 diabetes. Children who have frequent and prolonged hypoglycaemia under the age of five have been reported to have learning difficulties, particularly difficulties with spatial orientation, numbers, and I think occasionally memory, concentration and comprehension. However, these problems are not common, and are related to significant and prolonged hypoglycaemia.

JS

DTQ-20000223203201
Original posting 29 Aug 2000
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare

  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.