Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Leav, Washington, USA:

I'm 21 years old and all of my life I've had extremely low blood sugar levels. Recently, I've noticed that I've been having extreme mood swings, and I burn through the food I eat a lot faster than normal. I've had to add another meal to my day in order to keep from passing out. Do you feel I should contact my doctor?


First, yes, if you have a question, call the doctor and certainly persist.

What is "low"? Not at 70, but certainly 40. Have you been taught to test at home? Do you have numbers? If not, you need some to have good data (I don't think a glucose tolerance test replaces home glucoses).

These are the questions that need answering and followup. If you are truly low, then a referral to an endocrinologist might be in order.


Original posting 19 Aug 2000
Posted to Hypoglycemia


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.