Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Kokomo, Indiana, USA:

I just found out in March that I have Type 2 diabetes. I have a glucose meter and tested my daughter who is 5 1/2. It read 180. Should I have her tested by her doctor? I have 2 other children as well; should they be tested? It runs on my side of the family.


I can understand your concern but before jumping to any conclusions, I would recommend you discuss this with your child's doctor. Also, we always need to remember that the hand-held meters give us an approximate blood sugar, not an absolute number like a blood test done in a lab. Also, blood sugars vary for all of us by time of day and what we eat.

Before any more time is spent worrying, talk to her doctor. A simple test could make all the difference to your peace of mind.


Original posting 30 Jun 2000
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.