Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Dubai, UAE:

I am an diabetic patient with the left eye already eviscerated due to glaucoma. Kindly suggest a method for treatment of the cataract in my other eye which will be suitable in my case. The cataract in the other eye has become severe. Also suggest name of some doctor who can do this operation.


I am sorry to hear of your situation. I am assuming you have glaucoma secondary to your diabetes. This would be called neovascular glaucoma, a very severe form of glaucoma. Glaucoma is usually in both eyes although one eye may have more advance disease. In addition you indicate that you have a dense cataract in your remaining eye. My advice to you would be to contact the ophthalmological society in your area and ask for a recommendation. A medical school that trains eye surgeons would be a good place to go.

With only one remaining eye you and the doctors will consider the risks and benefits. There are some combined procedures that may address the cataract and the glaucoma at the same time. This takes a skilled surgeon trained in both cataract and glaucoma surgery. In addition you may need laser surgery, which I imagine you have already had. You may need additional laser treatment.


Original posting 9 Apr 2000
Posted to Complications


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.