  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

You are viewing an archived version of this web site that is no longer maintained. Please visit cwd.is for our current site.

Question:

From California, USA:

I am the manager of the JDF chapter in Bakersfield, California. We had a local child who almost died a few weeks ago at school. The school personnel assumed she was asleep when she really was unconscious due to a diabetic seizure. Now, the school district wants all parents of diabetic children to sign a contract. Do you know of other school districts where this has occurred? Is it legal? Is there a "standard" contract that we could share?

Answer:

A child with diabetes should receive the same medical care as any other student and I would never be in favor of a contract limiting liability for anything! In fact I would think it would be illegal (see the Americans with Disabilities Act).

From a pro-active standpoint it sounds like this school needs some education on diabetes and some help in establishing a plan of care, especially for emergencies. The school should work with the student's diabetes team or physician if he/she has no team to put a workable plan in place.

LW

DTQ-ONCLE19990617
Original posting 27 Mar 2000
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Hypoglycemia

  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.