Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Virginia, USA:

I am a type 1 diabetic interested in getting a insulin pump. However, my parents' insurance won't cover it. I will be getting out of school soon, and get a full-time job, and I want to get a health insurance group that covers pumps and supplies. Can you tell me the names of some large groups that do?


Group health insurance is typically provided by an employer and is not something that you can usually just join. You should ask any prospective employer about their health insurance coverage, but you needn't disclose your diabetes unless specifically asked. I would ask about coverage for pre-existing conditions, and ask to see the document that describes coverage. You could then contact the insurer and ask about the pump.


Original posting 15 Mar 2000
Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.