Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From New Mexico, USA:

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago with type 1 diabetes. Her sugars are always high. Right now a pediatrician is controlling her diabetes, but he does not want to refer her to an endocrinologist. What could I do about this situation?


You have every right to be concerned with continued high blood sugars. I suggest that you once again ask/demand to be referred to a pediatric endocrinologist by your pediatrician or by your insurance plan. I would also recommend that you find a diabetes educator in your area (call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4) to help you with the day to day management of your child's diabetes. It can be an overwhelming task and you need the support of a good diabetes team to help you and your family. Do not give up until you find the diabetes team that can help you and your child.

Another great resource is a book called, Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace available in book stores and


Original posting 8 Mar 2000
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.