Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From San Marcos, California, USA:

Where am I allowed to test my blood?


I assume you are asking what part of the body to use to check your blood sugar. The most common site used is the fingertip. Previously the earlobes were used frequently, but not too many people use this site now. In very young children with diabetes we use their toes, but we would not recommend this for adults and older children. Bayer makes a product called Microlet Vaculance which allows you to use other sites, however it would be difficult to use this device with a meter which requires a hanging drop of blood onto a test pad in the meter. Please speak to your own diabetes care provider for individual advice and to show the exact spot to use for blood glucose monitoring.


Original posting 25 Apr 1999
Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.