Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Texas, USA:

Our two year old granddaughter has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. We are at a loss. Her pediatrician has been no help: he has not referred us to anyone; we have had no counseling. Her blood sugar yoyo's from 64 to 191 to 298. We need help.


I think you made an important point when you said the pediatrician has not referred her to a specialist. In my opinion a young child with diabetes is best managed by a team of specialists (pediatric endocrinologist, nurse, nutritionist, and perhaps counselor) who have experience with young children with diabetes. Help her to get referred to a center with the above team. If your pediatrician says s/he knows about the care of kids with diabetes, then I would focus on the need to have the support and education from the nurse and nutritionist at the pediatric diabetes center. Concerning blood sugars, they will likely be variable especially in a young child, but you want to know that your doing the best you can.


Original posting 28 Feb 1999
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.