Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Thailand:

My father has diabetes. He's 64 years old. I want to help him control his sugar by checking his urine, so I want to know more about equipment to check the urine. Can you help me or provide information?


I'd rather suggest you to assess your father's diabetes (I assume he has Type 2) through strips for home blood sugar determination, possibly with portable meters. If meters are not available in Thailand, there are strips for reading by eye that are good enough.

Fasting and postprandial blood sugar at least twice a week are recommended for evaluating daily blood sugar excursions while HbA1c should be also assessed three or four times a year.

Urine sugar determination is not recommended anymore, even for people with type 2 diabetes. You'll find much detailed information about home blood sugar monitoring on the pages of this website.


Original posting 6 Feb 1999
Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.