Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Japan:

My daughter was recently diagnosed. I have hundreds of questions, but Japanese doctors don't educate parents of patients like American doctors do. I have 2 questions that I would really like answered at this time:

  1. My daughter is 8 years old. I also have a son who is 5. Neither my wife or I are diabetic. What are the chances of my son developing the disease?

  2. My daughter is so thin. What can we do to put some weight on her bones?


In arithmetic terms, your son has around a 6% chance of developing diabetes or, put another way, a 94% chance of not developing diabetes. You could get more information on this risk by having him tested for diabetes antibodies (antibodies to the cells in the pancreas that make insulin). However, since you can do nothing to influence the outcome I would recommend against such testing.

Your daughter is thin because she has been developing diabetes and has broken down body stores as fuel before the diagnosis. If you treat her with adequate insulin replacement and a diet calculated by a paediatric dietitian to provide for her growth then she will regain her intended weight very rapidly -- in a matter of a month or two.


Original posting 21 Jan 1999
Posted to Genetics and Heredity


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.