Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Regina, Saskatoon, Canada:

I am 21 years old and have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed 6 months ago. I am having trouble with frequent highs and lows. I have asked my doctor for help, but he has made it clear that he does not have time to answer my questions. How can I have better control of my sugars?


If what you say is true, and he hasn't advised getting a diabetes nurse educator and dietitian to help answer your questions, I would have to suggest you find a new doctor. See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some other ideas to help you locate a new doc.

In the meantime, contact your local hospital and arrange to talk to a diabetes nurse educator and a dietitian to start finding out ways to control the blood sugar and to answer your questions. You might also go back to your present doctor, and tell him you're very dissatisfied (and show him our comments).


Original posting 30 Aug 1998
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.