Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Tennessee, USA:

I have a seven year old second grade student who is a fructose diabetic. I can find no information on this type of disease. Would you please direct me to where I can find information on this type of diabetes? There is nothing on the specific disease on the Internet.


Fructose Diabetes is not a term that is generally used. Briefly there are two disorders that might go by this name. The first is called 'Essential Fructosuria', in which ingested fructose is leaked by the kidneys into the urine. It is entirely benign.

The second is called 'Hereditary Fructose Intolerance' and is a disorder that is an autosomal recessive, that is to say it must be inherited from both parents and it results in an inability to metabolise the sugar fructose. Left untreated it will result in failure to thrive, vomiting and liver and kidney damage. It is diagnosed by giving a carefully measured dose of fructose in hospital and looking for the appearance of fructose in the urine with a fall in blood sugar and phosphate levels. Treatment involves the strict avoidance of fructose.


Original posting 18 May 1998
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.