Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Waco, Texas, USA:

My wife's aunt is visiting with us. She lives in Germany. She is 62 years old and has had Type 2 diabetes for about 15 years. She does not use a blood testing meter - she only uses urine strips, which of course, are not that accurate. We have a 5 year old who has diabetes and we test him, so we also have been testing my wife's aunt. Her readings have been averaging 250 or more before meals. She weighs 170 pounds. She is taking [sulfonylurea diabetes pills] - two pills in the morning and one at night. We just took her reading and it was 317. Should we give her some insulin and if so, how much and what type - "R" or "N"?


Unless she's acutely ill, don't rush into things! If she's acutely ill and has high sugars, contact a physician (yours or your wife's, perhaps) or an Emergency Room. Otherwise, ask your son's doctor for the names of some adult endocrinologists that your visiting relative might see.


Original posting 23 Mar 1998
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.