Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Finland:

I am 21 years old, Type 1 diabetic. I'm planning on traveling to the US. What kind of documents should I have with me so that I can import my medication and needles? I don't want to be mistaken for a drug-addict!


Ask your doctor for a letter for customs. The letter should indicate that you have diabetes, require insulin injections, and need to carry syringes with you. You should purchase health insurance for the U.S., usually purchased through travel agents. Don't forget to travel with plenty of supplies. Have a great trip!


[Editor's comment: See Prescription Laws for information about laws regarding the purchase of insulin and syringes in the US and around the world. JSH]

Original posting 28 Feb 1998
Posted to Traveling


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.