Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Indiana, USA:

I have read about antibodies testing that is available to first- and second-degree relatives of diabetics for what I believe to be no charge. If a person wishes to have an antibodies test done, and does not fit into the "no-charge" category, how would he go about doing so? (I do not know whether the tests are routinely available at doctors' offices.)


Nearly all the antibody testing in the U.S is carried out under the aegis of a National Institutes of Health trial called the DPT-1 (Diabetes Prevention Trial) although there is one commercial lab too. The first step is to call 1-800-425-8361 to find out where the nearest lab is; for someone living in Indiana it would probably be the Joslin Clinic, Telephone 1-800-242-5836. The doctor would then have to call to get details of how the blood sample should be shipped and what other information would be required. Since you yourself already have Type 1 Diabetes you would not be eligible for the program; but any siblings certainly would be and if they were tested they would want to test you too.


Original posting 25 Aug 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.