Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Melbourne, Australia:

I am a Registered Nurse on a endocrine ward. I am interested in the way others educate newly diagnosed family. If you could help me or put me into contact with anyone I would appreciate it.


This involves more than could be done through e-mail. I would suggest that you contact a diabetes program (such as some of the ADA Recognized programs in the USA) that has a pediatrics component, and spend a week or so with the staff. At our hospital, we've had international visiting nurses occasionally, and I'd assume that other programs would also be willing to give you an exposure to their programs. Even then, however, you'd only get a "flavor" of what goes on.


[Editor's comment: If you're unable to spend the time visiting a diabetes program, you could join an organization that deals with patient education, such as the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and read their journals regularly. You will probably find the AADE's journal, The Diabetes Educator, in a local medical library. WWQ]

Original posting 10 Aug 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.