Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Mesa, Arizona, USA:

My mother is a 55 year old diabetic also has a hiatal hernia, sarcoid scarring of the lungs, arthritis, degenerative disks, congestive heart trouble, and fibromyalgia. My question is where can we go to get a diet or information on things she can eat? When one thing is happy the other is hurting. Please help.


Simply put, it is my strong belief that all people with diabetes should have the opportunity to review their meal plan with a knowledgeable diabetes dietitian. Clearly, your mom's situation demands the services of a dietitian!

There are several ways to find a dietitian:

  • Ask your mom's physician for names of dietitians he/she uses.
  • Call the nearest hospital, and talk to either the Coordinator of the Diabetes Program, the Diabetes Nurse Educator, or the Dietary Department. (There's a list of Recognized Diabetes Programs available on the Internet, and in some issues of the Diabetes Forecast magazine.)
  • Contact your local Affiliate of the American Diabetes Association.


Original posting 26 Jul 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.