Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From America OnLine:

My 9-year-old son has been a Type 1 diabetic for almost two years. I am getting a lot of pressure from extended family to stop taking my son to our pediatric resident. The doctor is okay. We have not had any serious problems with him. However, he is extremely busy and so appointments have been canceled, etc. He is in contact with a pediatric endocrinologist for any questions.

Should we switch our son over to an endocrinologist? What are the advantages, disadvantages, etc., in regard to seeing either the resident pediatrician or the endocrinologist?


I am not quite clear what you mean by the 'Pediatric Resident,' but assume you mean one of the doctors in training in your nearest teaching hospital. They can often provide accessible and devoted care and since they are in training they have someone to refer to if they need help.

At the same time they inevitably move on at the end of June into practice, into a Fellowship, or into another residency. For that reason alone I think you should look for a pediatric endocrinologist or a pediatrician with a special interest in diabetes, someone you and your son both like and whom you can stay with through the adolescent years.


Original posting 16 Jan 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.