Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From New York, USA:

I am 37 years old and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 months ago. The problem I have now is who is the best physician in treating diabetes because my condition is not improving. Presently, it seems to me that my internist knows little about this disease and he is not willing to admit it. Is it better to see an internist or an endocrinologist?


I'm obviously very biased, but I strongly feel an endocrinologist or pediatric endocrinologist (who loves diabetes, not one who merely tolerates it) is the best choice for everyone with diabetes; it's hard to keep up to date with everything, even in a relatively well-defined field like diabetology. It's the specialists in every area who are on the forefront of the latest therapies, and the information diffuses out to the general internists and other physicians slowly.

How do you figure out if an endocrinologist loves diabetes? Easy: ask them, or ask their diabetes nurse; if they love diabetes, they'll tell you; if they don't, they'll hem and haw. (If you're shy about asking, ask them to send you copies of their patient information packet, and look it over.)

Also, see a previous question and Finding a New Diabetes Doctor when you move.


Original posting 9 Dec 96


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.