From Victoria, Australia:
I have Type 2 Diabetes (mature onset). I also have Hypothyroidism, which is the lack of Thyroid hormone. I am 36 years old, from English Irish stock. Are there any others you know who have Type 2 Diabetes and also Hypothyroidism?
Diabetes and thyroid disease coexist at a much higher rate than would be expected by mere chance. It's easy to speculate why for Type 1 diabetes patients: there are antibodies that can be found in both disorders, which presumably might be the cause.
As we've mentioned before, Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes sometimes has associations with a long list of other disorders, including
- thyroiditis (thyroid gland inflammation with overactivity or failure),
- Addison's disease (adrenal gland failure),
- vitiligo (white skin patches without any pigmentation),
- premature menopause in women,
- pernicious anemia (a rare form of anemia due to problems with absorbing vitamin B12),
- parathyroid gland failure (with low levels of calcium and parathyroid hormone),
- myasthenia gravis with thymus gland failure,
- hair loss (total baldness), and
Everybody with diabetes should have lab tests to check the thyroid gland for underactivity or overactivity annually. The tests should include at least two names: a TSH, and either a T4 or free T4. If any of these tests are abnormal, more testing should be done.
- You requested that we publish your e-mail address so you could receive e-mail from others who have type II diabetes and also hypothyroidism, so we'll list it for anyone interested in corresponding with you: [email protected]
Original posting 26 Mar 96
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.