Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team
I have diabetes, and will be relocating soon to the New York City area. Can you point me to a referral for an endocrinologist/diabetologist either in Manhattan or on Long Island?

Finding a new doctor, especially a specialist whom you can trust as advisor for your diabetes, can be a very important part of making your move a success. Here are some hints we'd advise you to consider:

  • Talk over your upcoming move with your present endocrinologist. He/she can help out, as mentioned below, and may personally know someone in your new location.

  • You can borrow a copy of several Membership Directories, and see who's spent their money to pay their dues! Usually, you can find out lots of other information about them, also. Examples of organizations with directories that may be available from your previous endocrinologist include:

    • American Association of Diabetes Educators (members are interested in diabetes education; many are nurses or dietitians but some are physicians);

    • American Diabetes Association (members are interested in diabetes but many are in research or teaching; some are physicians in clinical practice);

    • Endocrine Society (see comments about the ADA); and

    • American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (most of the endocrinologists who belong to this organization are in clinical practice).

    These directories fortunately have entries allowing you to figure out which physicians are more interested in seeing patients, as compared to doing "rat research."

  • Find out which hospitals have programs that are "Recognized" by the American Diabetes Association, and find out which doctors are associated with these programs.

  • Call the diabetes nurse educators at two or three hospitals (especially those Recognized by the ADA) that are in your new neighborhood. Ask the diabetes nurses who they'd trust.

  • Call the local office of the American Diabetes Association, and ask if they maintain a referral list (look in the Yellow Pages under Diabetes Organizations).

  • Call the Referral Service at any hospital (look in the Yellow Pages under Physician Referral Services). Be VERY specific about the kind of physician you want: some Referral Services will give you a generalist who dabbles in diabetes, which may not be what you want! Be sure to call several Referral Services, since they will ONLY give you names of physicians who are on the staff of their hospital.

If you find that the same name recurs using several of these methods, you've probably got a winner! But, no matter what, you'll have to try the doctor out! Carry along photocopies of your recent medical records, including:

  • Letters from one physician to another, or to you.
  • Recent lab results.
  • Recent hospital Discharge Summaries, Consultations, and other typed hospital reports.
  • Anything else in your chart that your previous endocrinologist and his staff want to hand you.

Bring these records in advance to your new physician, and ask the staff to alert the new physician that you'll want to go over them with the doctor during your first visit. During your first visit, be prepared to spend extra time, and pay extra, for a chance to find out if the new doctor is "right" for you.

Original posting 8 Jan 96


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.