Cruise Into the New Year with CWD!
December 29, 2003 - January 2, 2004
By popular request, Children with Diabetes has booked a cruise on the Royal Caribbean International Cruise Line to celebrate the holidays and ring in the New Year (2004)!
Join your CWD buddies for a 5-day, 4-night Caribbean cruise experience aboard the Sovereign of the Seas. The cruise will depart Port Canaveral, Florida, on December 29, 2003 and return on January 2, 2004. The cruise itinerary will include the following (there are extra charges for the land activities and you are responsible for scheduling them):
- December 29, 2003 Port Canaveral, Florida - Become a rocket scientist as you explore the world of NASA and the Kennedy Space Center. Explore Cocoa Beach - remember "I Dream of Jeannie?" Travel the Florida Everglades on an airboat eco-adventure. You'll literally glide over a sea of grass into the bald cypress swamp - keep your eyes peeled for alligators!
- December 30, 2003 CocoCay, Bahamas - Go snorkeling and explore the beautiful coral reefs and colorful tropical fish. Soar 400 feet above the turquoise Caribbean waters on an unforgettable parasailing ride. Take an adventure down the coast of CocoCay aboard a waverunner - check out Great Stirrup Cay Lighthouse, Slaughter Harbor, and Starfish Alley. Or, best yet, find that hammock in the shade, wiggle your toes in the sand, and enjoy a great book with a cool drink in hand!
- December 31, 2003 Nassau, Paradise Island, Bahamas - Royal Caribbean partners with Atlantis, Paradise Island to offer shore excursions and activities to guests. Explore the world's largest marine habitat, home to 50,000 sea creatures. Tour the dig, revealing what life may have been like on the lost continent over 11,000 years ago. Shop duty-free designer fashions and homewares in the Crystal Court Shops. Back on board Sovereign of the Seas, get ready for a humdinger of a New Year's Eve Party! Kids and teens safe on board, CDEs available with pagers in case of diabetes concerns, this is one evening where everyone can have fun at the party!
- January 1, 2004 - Spend a relaxing day at sea. Start the year off on the right foot with a healthy breakfast - and a wonderful day - shared with lots of new friends!
- January 2, 2004 - Arrive back at Port Canaveral relaxed, happy, and ready to start the new year!
Cruising and Learning
CWD is very pleased to announce that Betty Brackenridge, CDE, and author of Sweet Kids, will be joining the cruise as Featured Faculty. Betty is one of our very favorite CWD presenters, and we are so thrilled that she will be joining us. She will offer one formal session daily (likely in the morning), focusing on living a healthy and full life with diabetes. The session topics will vary daily. Betty will be available for discussion, consultation, and friendly conversation throughout the cruise. As those of you who have been to previous CWD events know, some of our best information comes from those poolside chats!
Cruising and Pumping
For those folks who might be interested in trying an insulin pump while on the cruise, Animas Corporation will offer saline pump trials. This is an opportunity for the parent or child (or both) to wear an insulin pump, with a saline cartridge, for 24 hours. This enables you to see and feel first-hand how an insulin pump works. If you've been thinking about getting an insulin pump, this is a great way to give it a try. Saline pump trials will be available by pre-registration only, and you must have a prescription from your physician that states "saline pump trial."
Diabetes Medical Support
The Sovereign of the Seas is well-equipped for "routine" medical emergencies and general illnesses. In addition, several RN/CDEs will be cruising with us, and available for diabetes questions and consultations if you or your child needs assistance. Many thanks to Animas Corporation for providing CDE support for the children and teens on this cruise. These CDEs will carry pagers and may be called upon by the staff in the children's and teen's programs.
What's On Board?
Wondering what you might do all day on board Sovereign of the Seas? Try one of the following!
- Shipshape Fitness Center and Spa
- Beauty Salon
- Golf Putting
- Casino Royale
- Massage and Sauna
- Touch of Class Champagne Bar
- Outdoor swimming pools
- Ping Pong
- Video arcade
- Schooner Piano Bar
- Movies (2 theaters showing first-run movies)
- Jogging track
Kids and Teens have programs of their own! No hanging out with the "boring adults" ... The FantaSeas Teen Center offers a wide variety of activities for teens throughout the entire cruise. The Adventure Ocean program is for children ages 3 and older, and combines educational programming with entertainment for the younger crowd (kids must be 3 and must be potty-trained).
Accommodations and Prices
The accommodations listed below are sold out as of July 2003. However, other cabins on the ship may be available. Please contact Linda Rogers at 734-429-1485 for availability and pricing.
CWD has booked three types of cabins: Superior Ocean View, Ocean View, and Inside Cabins. Per-person pricing, in US dollars, is as follows:
Cabin Type Passenger 1 & 2 Passenger 3 & 4 Superior Ocean View $1,074.55 $514.55 Ocean View $739.55 $514.55 Inside Cabin $709.55 $514.55
Price is per-person and includes Orlando airport transfers, the cruise, port charges, taxes, and fees. Note that these prices reflect a holiday premium.
Airfare, shore excursions, and optional travel insurance are extra.
A deposit of $100 per person, plus a $50 booking fee, is due upon reservation. Space is very limited. The remainder is due before September 30, 2003.
Cancellations prior to September 30, 2003 will incur a $50 per person penalty.
Cancellations September 30 - November 30, 2003 will incur a $150 per person penalty.
Cancellations between December 1-21, 2003 will incur a 50% penalty plus agency fee.
Cancellations after December 21, 2003 are non-refundable.
US or Canadian citizens must carry a passport or certified birth certificate. All others must carry a valid passport.
How Do I Make Reservations?
To participate in the CWD functions on this cruise (the sessions, consultation with the CDEs and medical staff, etc.), reservations must be made through the Children with Diabetes contract. The cabin block is held by Travel Resources. Please call Linda Rogers at 800-253-0542 or 734-429-1485 to reserve your space! Travel Resources is a small business in Saline, Michigan. Linda Rogers has been a supporter of CWD since the very first "gathering" in Orlando in June 2000 (remember Letting Kids Be Kids?).
For more information, contact:Laura Billetdeaux
Email: [email protected]
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: (none)
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.